Q and A: Can I Still Re-acquire My Permanent Residence?

Question:I got permanent residence in Canada in the year 2000. In the year 2001 I was in Los Angeles and encountered a woman. We got married and lived together in the United States for ten years. We separated recently and I would like to go back to Canada to live. My immigrant visa has been outdated as I have not been in Canada since the year 2001. Is it possible for me to enter Canada using my United States passport or will they interrogate me on why I abandoned my permanent residence? I left Canada and possibly also lost my permanent residence but the question is how I get it back.

Answer: You should note that you haven’t lost your permanent residence. Don’t be blinded by the notion that you have lost your permanent residence since you have been away for a decade. According to the new laws set, you can maintain your permanent residence by coming back to Canada and following the new regulations set about residence. If you really want to come to Canada, then you should do so but make sure you follow the right procedures. You should seek professional assistance in this.

Enjoyed this post? Share it!


Q and A: Are Visitor Visa Holder Allowed To Study In Canada?

Question: I arrived in Canada as a visitor on the first of May 2015 with my two children. This is my initial visit to Canada and I would wish to prolong my stay past the initial time I was granted. However if I extend my stay, my children will miss out their school year. Can they be able to study in Canada or do we need to leave the USA for this?

Answer: I am making an assumption that you were given the normal six month visitor stay when you arrived. Therefore you are a valid visitor until 1st November 2015. If you wish to extend your stay beyond that then you need to start applying for an extension. If you want your children to study in Canada then you can do it as they don’t need to leave. The new laws permit children belonging to visitors to apply for study permits and learn in Canada. You should start your application now as the school year starts in September and the application may take a month.

Enjoyed this post? Share it!


Interested In Getting Into A Canadian University? Here Are Your Options!

Summer brings a welcome break for all the students that have been studying so hard throughout the year. Exams are over, graduation has taken place, and it is time to relax. In Canada, this is also true for high school teenagers.

Those that are seniors may have already been accepted to an institution of higher education. However, international students often do not have that same luxury. If they are looking into a Canadian university, they may find it difficult to get accepted. Most deadlines have come and gone, and international students face additional difficulties in making their dreams of higher education come true.

However, it does not have to be that way.

Some schools recognize the difficulties that international students face. Therefore, they have made adjustments to the way they do business so that these individuals can still attend an institution of higher learning in Canada this fall. The following information will review how this can take place.

Flexible admission dates

Most universities have an admission deadline that falls sometime in the spring. However, some colleges continue to admit students until the program is full, regardless of the date of application. A few universities have been known to make this exception as well. However, there are no guarantees, and rolling admissions are not always available.

Transfer options

Canadian universities are competitive. If a student is denied admission on their first try, or if they do not submit an application in time, they can begin their studies at a college and eventually transfer to the university of their choice, as long as they demonstrate academic proficiency. With a little attention to detail, they can still graduate with their degree after four years.

This is a great option for many students, because they seemingly get the best of both worlds. College is a little more interactive and universities typically have more rigorous coursework. In addition, it is often easier to transfer to a university in the second or third year, because your GPA does not need to be as high. In addition, because colleges are less expensive, this option makes more financial sense for many people.

There is also a province option as well. Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia all offer credit-transfer programs. Students can choose the type of education they want to receive and get a degree from several different schools. This is a great way for those just beginning their studies to figure out where they fit in the best. They do not have to make a firm commitment to any one school initially, allowing them to find the place that makes the most sense for them. International students really benefit from this.

Learning a Trade

Some students are simply interested in learning the skills they need to be successful for a particular job. Therefore, they are interested in attending college to get a diploma or certificate in a given field. The programs are generally shorter, only a year or two, and they come with the added bonus of potentially qualifying an international student for a work permit. In addition, the work done for these programs can often be transferred, in some form, to a university if the student wants to continue their education.

Getting ready for University

If an international student does not demonstrate the skills necessary to go to a Canadian university, they can attend a University Foundation program. The work done in these programs does not transfer to the university for credit. They simply help the student prepare for higher education and gives them a better chance of eventual acceptance.

For example, perhaps an international student has finished their education in their country, but Canada does not recognize the completion of 12 full years. The student needs to complete certain subjects in Canada before they can be accepted to a university in the country.

Another example would be if the student has all the necessary qualifications, but the university feels they need additional help learning what is expected of them at the university level.

Finally, the last example involves a student that has passed all requirements for admission but is simply younger than other college-aged students. Technically, the student can attend university. However, it is often best to participate in a foundation program in order to ensure success in an institution of higher education.

Pathways Programs

There are students that have done well academically in high school but still need help with language skills prior to beginning university work. Therefore, the school in question may accept the student under the condition that the student participate in, and finish, a language program. The student must demonstrate proficiency prior to starting their university coursework.

Many times, the student takes the program at the university or college that they have been accepted to. Occasionally, the program is available at a private language institution. These language schools offer an option for international students to attend university without going through a language exam.

A few schools also give students another option. For a student that has shown they can speak English or French well, but does not have the proficiency that the university is asking for, the school will let them learn more about the language while they are taking credits that they can apply to their university education. That way, the student becomes more proficient with the language but is still able to get a jump on their higher education classes.

Important information

International students must secure study permits in order to attend college or university in Canada. Spaces fill up quickly. Anyone interested in attending school in the fall must start the process now for best results. In addition, each school is different when it comes to their response time. To learn more about when you can expect to hear back, you should talk to the school you are interested in directly.

Enjoyed this post? Share it!