Post Graduate Work Permit: Available for International Students in Canada

Most international foreign students are aware that they can work while studying in any of the institutions in Canada.

However, do you know that there are also working opportunities open for post-graduates?

A post-graduate work permit is available for those who want to find a job after graduating and gain work experience to help them qualify for permanent residency.

Who Can Get a Post-Graduate Work Permit?

The main qualification required is for the applicant to have finished a full-time educational program in Canada for at least 8 months. The program is open to all those who graduated from any of the institutions below:

∎ A public post-secondary institution (i.e. college or technical school)

∎ A private post-secondary institution as long as its operation is guided by the same rules that govern public institutions

∎ A private institution that’s been authorized to offer degree by a provincial statute

∎ In Quebec, a secondary or post-secondary institution that offers programs covering 900 hours or longer, and leading to either diplôme d’études professionnelles (DEP) or an attestation de spécialisation professionnelle (ASP)

post graduate permanent residence opportunity canadaIf you are qualified, here are the requirements for application:

∎ You need to have a written confirmation issued by the institution from which you graduated stating that you have met all requirements of the program you had taken.

∎ You need to apply for the post-graduate work permit within 90 days after you received your confirmation from the school.

∎ You need to have a valid study permit during the time of your application.

The following are some limitations:

∎ The permit is not available for students in distance learning programs and in selected scholarship programs.

∎ Regardless of the number of programs you took, you can only avail of one post-graduate work permit.

What Benefits Can a Post-Graduate Work Permit Offer?

Aside from the fact that this permit will allow you to work in Canada after finishing your degree, it comes with various advantages:

This permit entitles you to a long time of opportunity to work. The length often depends on the length of study you have undertaken. More often, the length of the permit’s validity will be equal to the length of time you spent studying, with the maximum length being 3 years.

The permit is categorized as an open permit. Meaning, it doesn’t have limitations – it allows you to choose where you want to work and for what company throughout the validity of the permit. You can work anywhere and for any job that you’re passionate about.

From a Post-Graduate Work Permit to Permanent Residency

Once you receive a post-graduate work permit, you’ll find that there is a wide window of opportunity for you should you choose to apply to become a permanent Canadian resident. Among the opportunities that you can look into are the following:

Provincial Nomination Program. This program is implemented in various Canadian provinces, and you can apply here as long as you have an offer for a permanent job from a Canadian employer.

Canadian Experience Class (CEC). This is another opportunity if you have already been working for at least a year. The requirements are:

∎ You should have worked for at least a year in a full-time (or equivalent part time) position within 3 years of your application to the program.

∎ You should meet the language level requirement.

∎ You should intend to live in a province aside from Quebec.

Individual Programs in Different Provinces

Alberta Strategic Recruitment stream (Post-Graduate Worker category). If you have completed your study in Alberta, you can apply under this program even if you don’t have a job offer.

∎ Quebec Experience Class (international student stream). You can apply for permanent residency under this program even without work experience as long as you have completed your study in Quebec and your French proficiency is in the high to intermediate level.

∎ Ontario, British Columbia, and Saskatchewan. These provinces accommodate all graduates with Masters or PhD degrees and allow them to apply for permanent residency even without work experience or job offer.

There are many other opportunities available for those holding a post-graduate work permit. So if you plan to become a Canadian resident through studying in Canada, this permit may be your ticket. Find out what other opportunities are available for you.

Other Posts OF Interests:

Enjoyed this post? Share it!


Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *