International Foreign Students: Who You Can Bring With You To Canada

post graduate permanent residence opportunity canadaBeing an international student is one of the many ways you can come to Canada.

Right now, there are as many as 100,000 foreign students in Canada who are under this program.

And while homesickness is one of the biggest challenges that international students face during their stay in the country, the government now addresses the said issue by allowing international students to bring family members and loved ones with them.

So who can you bring?

Spouse or Common-Law Partner

Available Opportunity: Open work permit. This will enable your partner to come to Canada even without a job offer or labor market opinion.

He/she can also work for any company or employer (except in jobs which may require extreme protection of public health – applicant may have to undergo a medical exam before acceptance to these kinds of occupation).

Length of the permit is often the same as the length of your study permit.

Student requirements for partners to qualify:

The student must be enrolled in a full-time program in any of the following:

∎ A public post-secondary university or college

∎ A private post-secondary university or college that meets the following:
→ → operation is governed by the same rules and regulations as public institutions
→ → half of overall operations budget is from government grants

∎ A private post-secondary university or college which is granted to offer degrees by a provincial statute

Minor Children

The definition of minor children by age may differ from one Canadian state to another. Many provinces still consider 18 as a minor age, but some other provinces consider the minor age up to 17 years old only. Check your chosen province for its specific age definition.

Available opportunity: Attendance of school without the need for a study permit (for children already in Canada with at least one parent with valid work or study permit). This applies only in the pre-school, primary, and secondary levels as long as the child is considered a minor. Once the child reaches the age of majority, a study permit will already be required for him to attend school.

How to Apply

If you’re not yet in Canada, you can submit your visa application together with the application of your family members. If you’re already in the country or you have already submitted your application, you can submit the application of your family members once you have already received your study permit. Either of the two is fine.

Below are the requirements:

∎ Provide complete information about all the family members who are applying

∎ Show proof that you can support yourselves throughout your stay in the country

∎ Provide police clearance certificate (if requested)

∎ Undergo a medical examination (if requested)

∎ Get a temporary visitor’s visa (in case your country is included in the list of countries that need to have TRV to enter Canada)

For spouses or common-law partners: can apply for work permit anytime (prior, during or after entry in Canada)

For minor children: may be considered ‘visitors’ and receive a visitor record even though they’re studying since they won’t have a study permit.

(More info on how your spouse or common-law partner can work in Canada:

Other Posts OF Interests:

Enjoyed this post? Share it!


2 thoughts on “International Foreign Students: Who You Can Bring With You To Canada

  1. Hi,
    I am brazilian, I pretend to go to Toronto on 2015 to make a second graduation at Complections Make-up and Art College. As is not properly a Post-Graduation course i would like to understand if I can bring my housband with me with a Open Work Permit.

    Thanks in advance

  2. Hi,

    Could anyone please share some advice about my situation, i really don’t know what route to apply for my girlfriend. She is 3 months pregnant, an i really want her to be in canada before she deliver our 1st child. We own a business in our country and a joint account, my friend told me to apply her as a tourist and get married here. Is that really possible? Im planning to apply for a common law sponsorship but it 6-8 months processing and that really concerns me, how can we declare our baby that has not been born yet? Hope someone can tell me what should, i am studying at the moment and i file for osap and i cannot leave and be at her side if she gave birth outside canada

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *