Marrying A Former Spouse To Become Eligible For Canada Sponsorship

Question: About 12 years ago, I got married to this man in the Philippines who came to Canada in 2002, divorced me, married a Canadian citizen and became a permanent resident in 2006. Just a few months ago, I came to Canada for a vacation as a visitor and we reunited as a couple. I bore a son by him and he is now processing his divorce from his Canadian wife. Is he eligible to sponsor me to Canada, considering we were married and are still considered married in the Philippines?

Answer: Yes, this is possible but you may have to do a lot of explaining before Canadian immigration officials. Foreigners coming to Canada to marry and then divorce local citizens so they can sponsor relatives from home has become a common practice. This only means that you have to show solid proof that your case is not another one of those shams. Otherwise, your Canadian sponsorship application will be refused.

Other Posts OF Interests:

Enjoyed this post? Share it!


2 thoughts on “Marrying A Former Spouse To Become Eligible For Canada Sponsorship

  1. Hi there,
    I am keenly interested to get a sponsorship through marrying. Will you please let me know how I can obtain this opportunity.

    Thank you very much for your kind attention and I look forward to your earliest convenience.


  2. Am canadian citizen married with croatian citizen four years we have two kids and we live in croatia can I make inland sponsorship application in montreal? Thank you

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *