Don’t Leave Canada Without Open Work Permit

Question: I have been working in Canada as a live-in caregiver for three years now, and my contract with my current employer is about to end. I am planning to apply for an open work permit while also preparing my documents for my permanent residency application. After I submit everything, I plan to go home to my family in the Philippines. Is that possible, or will I encounter any problem?

Answer: The best thing you can do is to visit your family AFTER you receive your open work permit. If you exit Canada and you don’t have your permit yet upon your return, you will not be allowed to enter. The airport officer will have to verify your employment. But since you will no longer be under your current employer (and you don’t have your open work permit yet), you might be refused entry. When that happens, even your application for permanent residency might not be processed. Therefore, the best thing to do is for you to wait for your open work permit before going home so that you are assured that you can return to Canada with no problem.

Other Posts OF Interests:

Enjoyed this post? Share it!


2 thoughts on “Don’t Leave Canada Without Open Work Permit

  1. I recently worked here in taiwan as a factory worker. Im interested to work in canada. Im trying to apply in some agencies here but they need a lot of money. Some of my friends apply online instead of agency because of high placement fee. Can i ask what website can help me to apply to canada? Thanks and more power

  2. i have been working here in Canada for 1 1/2 years and I am planning to have vacation in the Philippines this coming January 14 until February 25,2015. The question is they are advicing me not to go because i might not be able to comeback here in Canada. I am planning to get my re-entry visa in the Philippines, my working permit will be expire on December 2015. Do I have to go or not?
    Thank you!

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *